A bit of rants here first. So my previous vps provider decides to acting up, suspending my server for overdue payment. Except that I paid in-time. I’m not sure whether this is purely coincidence mistakes or some sort.
My invoice was dated due to 6th each month. Of course, as a good service provider, they sent me reminder for the payment at the end of the month by 29th, and at the 3rd of the next month. I paid at the 4th for this month with bank transfer, and as usual send confirmation email for the payment, moments later they usually send me paid invoices for confirmation. But not at this time, instead, I received my first overdue payment notice few days after my confirmation email, told me that I haven’t paid yet. So I raise a ticket, told them I had paid, and re-send the payment note, I’ve got no reply. Few days later they send another overdue notice, and then suspend the server. I had email the admin, in which we had exchange emails few times before, for technical supports etc. Unfortunately, until today I haven’t get any reply yet.
So it’s time to say goodbye, I guess.
Linux shizuku 3.6.11-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 18 08:57:15 CET 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
It’s an arch since I’m fairly comfortable with it, been using it as development server with vbox (later converted to vmWare) at my local machines for the last two years, Though this is the first time I use pure systemd init.
So what’s new?
For the server, it’s all new. Though it still does sucky in few areas. I’m still tinkering on its firewall configuration. Currently testing this rules:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
So I just put DROP policy for all INPUT and FORWARD chains, and put ACCEPT rules afterward.
No system monitoring yet, I might re-install collectd, but I think no visage.
And started using official package rather than self compiled software. Thanks to arch, the package system is awesomely up to date.
Well, I changed current blog deployment to use git hooks, rather than compiling the site locally and then rsync it to server.
I have dedicated
git user and separately
www user for the web, this is what I did for the setup.
- First, I create my main blog repository at
/home/git/octopress, and push the blog there.
- Then I create workdir, cloned from this main repo, at
- After this, invoke
bundle installat workdir to install all the gems required.
- There’s extra steps in which I had to manually install
(both, manually) as required by
- Use virtualenv, create python2 environment, use it. Since octopress use
which in turn use python2, while arch use python3 by default
- Then invoke
rake generateto compile the site.
- Then copy the public folder contents to
This setup force me to commit at each modification, which is good since I tend to forget to do commit all the time.
And yes, the previous test post was me testing this setup.